Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine Center
The Center offers five rooms for the diagnosis and treatment of conditions. Our Medical and nursing staff have the qualifications and specialized courses in the practice of this type of service. This service is available for patients whose ulcer conditions have not presented much improvement with conservative treatments. The ulcers treated are mostly from diabetics patients and patients with vascular conditions.The Center for Wound Care and Hyperbaric Medicine is located in the square of the Medical Tower.
Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
This is a type of medical treatment that is used to treat a variety of diseases. The treatment requires that the patient breathe 100% oxygen under pressure for a period of time.
While the patient is breathing normally the pressurized oxygen, it is absorbed into the bloodstream by the lungs and transported through the body by the circulatory system. Subsequently, the patient receives 15 times more amount of oxygen compared to breathing the air at sea level.
The number of treatments required varies depending on your medical condition. Some emergency conditions require only one or two treatments, however, the majority of cases require between 20 to 30 treatments.
Diseases or conditions treated with Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy:
- Wounds in the foot and leg of a diabetic patient that have not healed and other types of wounds that do not heal.
- Chronic radiation damage in muscle tissues and skin (radiation necrosis)
- Chronic radiation damage to bone tissue (bone radionecrosis)
- Skin grafts or compromised skin flaps
- Carbon monoxide poisoning by inhalation
- Chronic bone infections osteomyelitis)
- Decompression Sickness
- Necrotizing infection of muscle tissue
- Injury by serious burns
- Intracranial abscesses
- Embolism caused by air or gas
The Center at Hospital Auxilio Mutuo offers its service in Monoplaza Hyperbaric Chambers. These chambers are designed to handle one patient at a time. They are made of 50% steel and 50% polished acrylic. The oxygen completely bathes the patient, offering an overall feeling of well-being.
Benefits of the Monoplaza Chambers:
- The cylindrical acrylic helps eliminate the feeling of claustrophobia
- Chambers use an entertainment system
- Since the chamber is pressurized with oxygen, there is no need for patients to use oxygen masks.
- Pediatric patients are reassured because their parents are in sight.
- It is ideal for burn patients
- Two-way communication between patient-nurse is done through an intercom system intrinsically safe, thus avoiding the electrical risk.
The hyperbaric chambers are made by SECHRIST, the most recognized company in the manufacture of this equipment for more than 35 years.
Dr. Luis Nazario, Medical Director, has a certification in Hyperbaric Medicine awarded by the American College of Hyperbaric Medicine.
The Center has two graduate nurses which have been duly qualified in the course offered by ATMO International at San Antonio, Texas, currently recognized as the only company, not only in the United States but in the world, to offer trainings to doctors, nurses and technicians in Care and Safety in Hyperbaric Medicine.